FSEV 2019 Summary, Results and Awards4 min read
The 3rd Annual FSEV Concept Challenge (FSEV 2019) took place at the Ather Energy HQ on Sunday, July 14 and was attended by 13 teams from all over India. The venue, hospitality and staffing support for this annual competition was graciously hosted by Ather Energy for the second consecutive year.
“The Formula Student community lies close to our heart – so many of our employees have witnessed engineering marvels during their student days and are now panelists, judges, sponsors and organizers.” – HR, Ather Energy
The participating teams at FSEV 2019 were as follows:
- Skyline Racing – Kalinga Institute Of Industrial Technology
- Ronin Racing – National Institute of Technology Warangal
- Team Octane Racing Electric – College of Engineering, Pune
- Team Ojas – VIT Vellore
- Stier Racing – Ramaiah Institute of Technology
- Team Roadrunner Electric – National Institute of Technology Rourkela
- Team Srijan Electric – Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
- Team Brahmastra FS – K.K.Wagh Institute of Engineering Education & Research
- Medusa Motorsports – Dayananda Sagar University
- Inspired Karters Electric – Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
- Team KART Electric – Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Acceleracers Electric – MIT World Peace University
- Wrench Wielders Racing Electric – Symbiosis Institute of Technology
- Infinity Motorsports Electric – Amity School of Engineering and Technology
The purpose of the FSEV Concept Challenge is to provide students with a platform to research and showcase their findings in the process of developing and designing a Formula Student Electric vehicle. It was launched as a sub-event to Formula Bharat, in order to cater to the growing interest of student participants in the EV category within the Formula Student arena.
Many of the teams that attended the challenge, are keen on registering for Electric Category at the Formula Bharat 2021 competition. The FSEV Concept Challenge allows teams to weigh the pros and cons of building an electric vehicle through their own research and feedback received by judges towards their conceptual design.
The thirteen teams that attended FSEV 2019 represented colleges literally from all zones in the country – Jharkhand, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
The judges at this year’s competition represented companies such as Tata Technologies, Bosch India, Johnson Controls India, Mercedes-Benz, Altigreen Propulsion Labs, Molex, Go Green EOT and Ather Energy as well.
As a part of the FSEV Concept Challenge, participating students with a graduation year of 2021 and further were required to present an FMEA report, an Engineering Design Report and a Procurement Strategy report, prior to attending the competition. These documents were reviewed by staff and judges on the Formula Bharat team.
At the competition, each team had 40 minutes to present their Design Concept and Team Management strategy, followed by 15 minutes of Q&A and Feedback received from judges.
The rest of the time was spent indulging in activities supported by the staff at Ather Energy . In the morning of the event, participants had the opportunity to listen to a talk on the ‘Role of Software in EVs’ by Sirish Batchu, VP of Digital Technology at Ather Energy. This presentation introduced the importance of the interdependence between hardware and software in any tech design. Sirish drove home the message that teams should also focus on the artificial intelligence perspectives of their design as a part of their vehicle’s design and development.
Following through the rest of the day, each team was accompanied by a mentor from Ather Energy , who provided the students with a tour of the facility and also a test ride of the Ather 450 model!
Ather Energy also hosted several panels where students could have a one-on-one conversation with experts ranging from Careers to Engineering Design (Battery & Powertrain) to Software & Data development.
At 5:30 PM on Sunday, the winners of the FSEV 2019 competition were announced as follows:
- Overall 1st Place: Team Octane Racing Electric – College of Engineering, Pune, MH
- Overall 2nd Place: Inspired Karters Electric – Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, RJ
- Overall 3rd Place: Ronin Racing – National Institute of Technology Warangal, TS
- Best FMEA Report: Inspired Karters Electric – Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, RJ
- Best Team Management Strategy: Inspired Karters Electric – Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, RJ
- Best Procurement Report: Team Roadrunner Electric – National Institute of Technology Rourkela, Odisha
- Best Battery Design: Team Ojas – VIT Vellore, TN
- Best Powertrain Design: Team Ojas – VIT Vellore, TN
Ather Energy has also graciously awarded the Overall 1st Place Winner with 10 hours of expert sessions with Ather Energy lead personnel (spread across the next 5 months) and 2 hours of Ather Energy’s lab usage for testing.
Each participating team at FSEV 2019 received a participation token and the students will receive electronic participation certificates. Each participant also received a lot of goodies put together by Ather Energy and Formula Bharat.
Results of the FSEV 2019 event can be downloaded from here.
The 3rd Annual FSEV Concept Challenge was a huge success and this would have not been possible without Ather Energy ‘s support and efforts towards the platform.
For any concerns or queries, please write to formulabharat(@)gmail.com.
The 3rd Annual FSEV Concept Challenge was organized by Curiosum Tech Private Limited.